Monday, September 10, 2012

Hartwood Day's Festival

So many things are happening with the goat family this month! September 8th I took my senior doe Midori, and Della's junior doe Bambi to the Hartwood Day's Dairy Goat Show. I went to the show with little hope of winning with Midori. But up rose Midori like a super hero emerging from their ordinary disguise. She won Reserve Grand Champion Senior Doe of the youth show! The judge said that she had a fantastic mammary system, great depth, spring of rib, and great general appearance.
Midori and me!

Among her other winnings were second in the open senior milking does. This was Midori's first time showing and she did a great job. We won second place in senior showmanship. Although she did better than I expected, she needs some training if she is to be my showmanship doe. All through class she decided she would love to bite my fingers. 

But enough about my amazing baby. On to Miss Bambi.
Bambi won third place in youth and open shows. The judge said she had a good top line and great general appearance. I scratched her out of the Nigerian Dwarf Junior Doe show because her wonderful new owner came to pick her up! She went home with three other goats (one named Esther) and the lady sent me a message saying she is adjusting very well with her herd.

Everything else in the house and barn in going great. Milking time has become more exciting for me. Whenever I milk Midori I think "I am milking a champion. A CHAMPION." Now I know why Della loves milking her does. Although I hold so much more respect for Midori, she will always be my Fat Dori. I remember the day I got her I looked at her and in my head thought, "My, that is one fat goat." At first I thought she was incredibly mean, but after a few months of milking and her adopting me as her baby, she and I are the best of friends.

All goats are doing great. Midori is getting over her trauma of being dragged away to a hot show, Plum and Butterfly are happily beating up babies, and Victoria is still trying to steal the babies and make them her own. I hope everyone's weekend was as awesome as it was for me and my lovely, if temperamental, goaties.

No comments:

Post a Comment