Monday, August 27, 2012

Flurries of Fur

On September 8th in the midst of school starting and weather turning colder, I will be taking two of our does, Midori (a five year old milker) and Bambi (a dry yearling) to the Harvest Days dairy goat show. I've entered them in the youth , open , and special Nigerian Dwarf show. So this morning I pulled out my clippers, found my size 7 blade, and started cutting our goat's luscious locks of hair off. Midori had never been shaved before so I was worried that she would pitch a fit. But she did really well! She didn't like her feet being touched and she kept hurling falling off the stand. But in the end she looked really even and she looks like a show goat. Bambi, being a yearling, was harder. I had to have mom come out and hold her some so I could shave her. Today she kicked so hard the blade slipped and I didn't realize my finger was bleeding until I noticed her orange tinted fur was turning into a murky red! Other then that the girls did really well and it wasn't too stressful.

Nothing really interesting has happened with the goats this week, but I would rather have a boring week with the goats then a tragedy befall us. All goats are contently being themselves- Poppy is taking her role as Queen of Alpenglade very seriously, Victoria is wishing she had babies of her own, Champagne is still sleeping in hay baskets, and the babies are all frolicking in the fields. Besides two days straight of heavy rain, the weather has been nice and cool so none of the animals are too hot. Hopefully something good will happen this week to make the next post more interesting!

That's all for today! Below are the pictures of the goats who got clipped, and some other cute ones. As soon as the camera comes out, all of them start posing.
Doesn't Midori look nice? I'm super proud of my clipping job on her. So be prepared for more pictures and gushing in this post. 

I LOVE THIS BABY. At first I didn't like the idea of Della keeping her but..she is adorable. And the sweetest. 


These are my favorite goats of the herd! (Midori wasn't in this picture. But she is my top favorite)

More clipping photos. 






And finally, Bambi. She turned out very well! 




4 comments:

  1. Love it! Those pictures are great- did you take 'em with your real camera? Bambi is starting to look exactly like Bramble, especially in that last pic. Hilarious.

    Hopefully I'll be home this weekend so I can trim hooves.

    MAN. I miss my goats so badly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Midori looks so nice now that she's clipped. When she came, she was TOO FAT. And then she got sick and she was TOO THIN. But now she is JUST RIGHT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! Oh man I love mom's comment :D And the goats all look great, Es---they are such cutie pies! I'll trade you B for one (kidding, kidding---get it?!).

    You are such a great writer, Es! None of the stupid cutesy tone I use to have when writing blog posts ;) I like your style. I do I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hannah! And I will gladly take Beren (:

      Thank you again! Ha, I resist from putting too many smiley faces in the post so Della won't shoot me!

      Delete